Sevenoaks District Scouts

Jiingijamborii Blog - Updated daily

17th July 2007

Jiingijamborii Blog - Updated daily

Sevenoaks has sent a Troop of Scouts and Leaders from across the Sevenoaks District to the Jiingijamboree in Sweden. Keep up-to-date with their experience here and find out more on the Jiingi Jamboree website -

Day 10 - 23rd July

After an early night and a lay in until 8am, we set out to explore Copenhagen and spend any money we had left.

We met up again for lunch at McDonalds and from there a short trip by train to the airport.
We were processed through baggage check-in and security/passport control in record time.

19.26 - our flight is due for departure at 19.45 local time (18.45 UK), well with 15 minutes to go we still have not been given our gate number, so looks like there is a delay.

UPDATE: 20:00 local time (19:00 UK) - Boarding the Plane!

Day 9 - 22nd July

Well this our final day in Sweden, we have packed up the camp, leaving Ian and Baggy to load up all the kit onto the trailer, once they are allowed onto site with the truck.

The camp laid on buses to Kristiansted which is a short distance away, unfortunately we just missed the train to Copenhagen and being Sunday had to wait two and a half hours for the next, which was standing room only most of the way to Copenhagen.

After arriving in Copenhagen, a short walk saw us at our five star youth hostel.

I think the first thing any of us did was to have a hot shower.

Dinner was pizza at the hostel who were taken by surprise by the sudden quantity of food that needed to be cooked.

That's it for now, signing off from a very wet Denmark.

Day 8 - 21st July

What a difference a day makes, today is over cast and it has been raining steadily for the last two hours since we got up.

Today we celebrate 100 Years of Scouting, at 7am each subcamp received a letter for the Leaders.

The organisers are being very secretive about what is planned for today, however the letter subjected that we allow the Scouts to have a lie in and then give them breakfast in bed.

This is the first time I have seen Stompy at a loss for words, (well not those I can repeat). The thought of porridge and jam splattered all over tents and sleeping bags was simply to much for her.

The letter said that we were to have free time up until 14.00 when activities would start, but still no news as to what they are.

We are waiting. For a mystery present to arrive, this should only be opened when all the Scouts are present.

09:30 - the mystery box arrived and we all assembled round the flag poll with the two Swedish groups we share with, in the box were party whistles, face paint, balloons and ear plugs, plus some instructions for the leaders.

During the morning we were to listen to the camp radio and follow all instructions;

10.04 - 10.07 Drum on something loudly!
11.22 - 11.24 Be completely silent
11.25 - 11.25 Yell
12.16 - 12.17 Clap your hands
12.59 - 13.00 Blow your party whistle

The sound of 25,000 people bashing pots and pans, was quite an experience, now I know why all the leaders were given ear plugs.

In the box was an invite to the 100 Years party at 14.00, medium and small groups to meet at the "Vasterrull" and Large (aged 16+) at Rosen for celebrations which will go on to the early hours of tomorrow morning.
17.00 - we have been preparing since lunch for this evenings carnival, making instruments, banners and costumes.

The Carnival starts shortly at 18.15, we will be forming up and parading to the main arena.

19.30 -we formed up, 5,000 strong, with faces painted green carrying green banners and marched to the main arena circling the camp as we went, it was quite a sight with a long column behind and in front stretching into the distance.

As we arrived 5,000 Scouts arrived in yellow shortly followed by blue and red. It was an amazing sight.

The evening sky is clear with the sun still up just above the horizon.

The stage has two massive display screens either side. There is crane gantry with cameras panning the crowd, as it comes our way we all get up and wave St Georges fags which Stompy gave us shortly before setting out.

The concert started with a Swedish Scout version of rocket man, this was followed by a number of Swedish pop groups and some comedy sketches, some of which were in English.

Near the end the King of Sweden came onto the stage to address the Scouts in both English and Swedish.

After the main show we took the younger Scouts back to the camp site for coco and bed, the older two patrols stayed on for the disco which goes on until midnight.

Tomorrow will be an early start as we leave the site by midday, fortunately we started taking down the camp today, so there should not be to much left.

That's it for now from Sweden, this time tomorrow we will be in Copenhagen.

Day 7 - 20th July

It's a clear bright sunny day with not a cloud in the sky, so drinks bottles, sun hat's and sun cream all round.

Today's themed activity was "Exploration" where we explored all our senses.

Press release -:

There has been a major world catastrophe; say's the news bureau TT. "The infamous Evil Eye has released a virus causing people to loose their senses (sight, hearing, taste, touch and smell).
Evil Eye say's that he thinks that people do not appreciate their abilities sufficiently and therefore that they are not worth keeping.

It's a disaster! Imagine that no one will be able to smell the scent of flowers," say's the UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, who himself is slowly loosing his sense of taste.
He is concerned that restaurants will have to close since no one will be able to taste the food anymore.

The virus has already caused problems for many people. Some have lost one sense, others have lost them all. People who had perfect vision are today blind and cannot find their way home or recognise their loved ones.

Our mission as Scouts at the Jiingijamborii is to stop the catastrophe, we must help!

This task is not without danger as each member of the patrol must deposit one sense behind when setting out on their adventure. To succeed in their task they need to collect sufficient amount of sense powder, you can get back the senses you deposited. But if you fail.........

This event took about 5 hours to complete, we have some very interesting pictures of Kyron who was persuaded to get into a dustbin of wallpaper paste to use his sense of touch to find some lego hidden there. I hope he likes his new spicky hair, unfortunatly there are no showers here and regretfully we were forced to pour cold buckets of water over him.

Don't think he was doing this for the sake of the team, it took a bar of chocolate, some sweets and two ice creams to persuade him (well worth the money). We will be selling the photos to the highest bidder :-)

Stompy had a fit when she inspected the tents this afternoon, they looked like any typical teenagers bedroom, well not for long, free time was cancelled until everything was shipshape, if you can use that term at a Scout camp.

This evening various camp villages are having their own parties, some of us have been invited to join the Greeks for a meal.

Don't be surprised at the number of pen friends the Scouts have gained, I think the record for an individual Scout stands at 12 at the moment.

Well it's time to say goodbye from Sweden today, there are parties and events to attend.

Tomorrow is one big event where we will be celebrating 100 Years of Scouting, at least they are allowing us an extra half hour in bed.

Day 6 - 19th July

We awoke this morning at 7am as we do every morning to the sound of a trumpet playing, it was initially a clear day but there were a few showers early on. This cleared up to be a hot day with some cloud cover.

The mornings activity was called "Together" and as the name suggests, involved games that got the teams working together.

Lunch was taken on site, frankfurters, ham and potato soup and fruit. We then departed for the beach which was a short coach journey away.
The Pine forest we walked through went right up to the sea, so we were able to shelter under the trees from the sun.

The water was surprisingly cold and tasted almost like fresh water. A few brave soles ventured out, other stayed nearer the shallows where the water was warmer. A few sand castles were built and couples of Scouts buried in the sand.

When we returned to the camp site, it was time to cook dinner, so while some had free time others cooked the meal of beef and potato, which came in bags finely cubed.

At 9pm we ran a camp fire, inviting along the next door Swedes who were keen to learn some English camp fire songs. All the Scouts and leaders took turns with a song and Chris, one of the leaders had a repeat after me song translated into Swedish and tried to teach it to the Swedish and English Scouts. The Swedish scouts thought this very funny as he got a number of the words wrong and incorrectly pronounced. They never did say what it all came out as.

Following camp fire the scouts had some free time on site before bed.

That's the end of the news from day 6 from Sweden.

Day 5 - 18th July

I am writing to you after a very long day, it's now 1am and a few of us leaders have only just got back to our site.

One thing I learnt this morning was to never put your bivouac up on a slope, I kept sliding down to the bottom all night and the Scouts were all in a heap at the bottom come morning.

We cooked porridge and hard boiled eggs over a fire for breakfast and then we packed up ready for the next part of the journey.

We were given directions which involved a short walk to a staging post where we were to be given Canadian canoes to paddle part of the way and finally a 2.5 km walk to the coach pick-up point where we had lunch.

Two of our groups successfully navigated across the lake to their respective destinations, however the youngest group had to be towed off the lake as the wind got up and they were unable to paddle to where they had to go.

Everyone had a fantastic time, even those who did a lot of screaming because they were getting splashed (they know who they were).

We had an uneventful walk through the beautiful Skone countryside to our pickup point and returned to our camp site at 16.00 in time to prepare for dinner.

Following dinner we joined the rest of the camp at the main stage for an evening entertainment called "The Compass", this was about a 15 year old Scout called Erik who had reached that stage of life where he was wondering why he was here and what he would become. He was at a crossroads in life, but which path should he take. This was Erik's story of his enlightenment and what happened on his journey to find his inner self.

Unfortunately none of this was in English so we only stayed for a short time. The rest of the evening was given as free tine so that the Scouts could get to know their new friends.

A group of leaders visited the main village for senior Scouts 16+ where there is live entertainment, anything from live bands, comedians, rock concerts, ice climbing wall, bungee jumping, art and crafts.
It is unfortunate that we do not have any Scouts with us old enough to participate in any of these activities.
The security is quite strict for this area and no one without an over 16 wrist band is allowed in.

That's it from Sweden today, tomorrow we are planning on taking a bus to the local beach in the afternoon.

Day 4 - 17th July

We awoke to another electrical storm Tuesday morning, fortunately it was over fairly quickly allowing us to get our breakfast before heading out for the mornings themed activity called Respekt (Swedish for respect).

As we were due catch a coach at 1.30pm we packed rucksacks with our full overnight outdoor camping gear and took this with us.

The Respekt activities were about respect for ourselves, others and about feelings.

For the afternoons camp in camp activity we split into three patrol groups, small and medium age groups, we were then mixed with Scout patrols from Sweden, Italy, Scotland and a group of Guides from the UK and taken to drop off points by coach, there to walk through the book skog (beech forest) carrying full overnight camp kit, food and canvas to make a bivouac. We given a map with pictures of things we were to look out for on the way.

After several hours and a few unplanned diversions (not that we were lost) we arrived at our respective camp sites.

Our task was to build a shelter to sleep in, cook dinner over a fire and be ready for camp fire for 9pm.

It was a close thing as we had not packed a few essentials as they were not on the list, so we ended up swapping tea bags for string with the Guides so that we could put up our shelter, and borrow a large billy can from the next door Swedes in which to cook our dinner.

At the camp fire each group had to take turns leading a song or activity, ours was Alice the camel had 5 humps. I had not realised how hard it would be to sing the songs in different languages, luckily we could all do the actions.

We finished the evening by singing happy birthday in 6 languages to one of contingent members who was fourteen that day.

One of the patrols shared a shelter with a group of Irish Scouts who kept everyone up until 3am, not that we were entirely blameless (Joe - washing up duty for the next two days).

I hope to get day 5 to you all this evening, in between the events which are going on.

Signing off for now from Sweden

Day 3 - 16th July

After loads of visitors to our village site and much badge swapping by everyone, we finally got to bed last night.

Overnight there was a huge electrical storm, thunder and lightning followed by a very hard downpour, today we awoke to a damp campsite bathed in brilliant sunshine.

Our activities for the morning were held in the global development village where we split into three patrol groups, each with a couple of Swedish Scouts.

The first activity was about communication, we were put into groups of 20 or so, along with Scouts from the Check Republic and Italy. We were to be a pretend country called Derben where customs were different, the other group were another country with bridge building skills, the aim was to communicate and build a bridge.

As Derbans to communicate a girl would kiss another persons right shoulder and they would kiss the left, then they could join arms and communicate. Boys could not link up to boys unless a girl joined them using the proper greeting. To great by shaking hands or touching was very rude and we had to scream for thirty seconds, there were a number of other strange customs which I will not go into now.

The aim was to build a bridge, well needless to say there was a lot of screaming going on, and we were surprised how shy the girls were, however the bridge was eventually built.

We also gained experience walking through nettles in sandals and remembering to apply sun block to the backs of our legs.

Everyone has made friends with many Scouts and now has two Swedish Scouts in each patrol. Tina now has a new friend called Fredrik (don't tell Tina) and Jeanette and Susan have gone off with the Yank's.

This evening three English and three Swedish cooked the evening meal, reindeer kebabs followed with ice cream.

Tomorrows exciting letter from Sweden will be from the camp hospital.

We are hiking and camping out overnight tomorrow so day four's email may be delayed.

Good buy for now, ttfn

Day 2 - 15th July

Well we have made it to day two, some of the leaders made it out of bed
before 7am (I don't know how) to start getting breakfast ready.
On the menu was muesli, porridge and cheese and salami.

The morning was spent building things for camp, a camp gateway, benches and

At 2pm we went to the opening ceremony in the main arena area, the
atmosphere was electric with nearly 25,000 Scouts singing and dancing in
front of a big stage. Everything was in Swedish, however we were given a
running commentary by some of the Swedish scouts.

The rest of the afternoon and evening were given as free time and most of
the scouts headed off to the spap area to swap badges, followed quickly by
the leaders who did not want to miss out on the best swaps.

One of the younger scouts has made it into the local paper due out tomorrow
as they wanted some pictures of some international scouts.

It stayed dry and hot all day, fingers crossed that we have more of the same
for the rest of the week.

Time to sign off now, as I am being attacked by mosies.

Day 1 - 14th July

Where do I start, it's been a very long day which started 2am at Heathrow.
After queuing for an hour we were told that our flight had been cancelled and that they would try and get us a flight for Sunday, failing that Monday.

After expressing our displeasure a very nice man from BA managed to find a bigger aeroplane for the 10am flight out to Copenhagen and squeeze us all on, they even gave us vouches for lunch as we waited.

We arrived safe and sound at Copenhagen, Denmark and caught at train to Kristiansted.
When we arrived there were hundreds of scouts from around the world totally filling the platform, you can imagine how noisy that was.
From there, the organisers of the jamboree had arranged a special train to Rinkerby, where we transferred to coaches for the short trip to the camp site.

At the camp we were greeted by a couple of friendly Swedes, who we followed across the camp to our site.

We had most of the tents up in short order, then there was a sudden storm which had us clinging to half erected tents trying to stop them being blown away, while we got absolutely drenched. It was almost like being at home in the UK.

After lunch of burger and salad, we went for a short walk and somehow it was nearly midnight.

Anyway it's off to bed now for a well earned rest.


Latest photos

Tyler, Noeni,Ellie, Matthew and Liam
Parade Route
climbing image.jpeg
Plnder 1.jpg
Plender Hike Base E.jpg
unassisted  and assisted winners.jpg
Plender Hike Base E 2.jpg
Plender 10.jpg
Plender 9.jpg
Plender 8.jpg
Plender 7.jpg
Plender 5.jpg
Plender 6.jpg
Plender 3.jpg
Plender 4.jpg
Plender 2.jpg


Scouting in Sevenoaks

There are 11 Groups across the Sevenoaks District.

Find a Group near you